Military Defender

More Than 20 Years Of Active Duty Military Service

Photo of Attorney Phillip E. Stackhouse
In Southern California And Worldwide
department of the army USA
department of navy
department of airforce
united states coast guard
department of navy USA

Need To Appeal A Courts-Martial Conviction?

If you have been convicted of a military offense and have received a sentence in excess of a year or a sentence that includes a punitive discharge — a bad conduct discharge or a dishonorable discharge, or dismissal if you are an officer — your case will typically go to appeal.

If you need to appeal a courts-martial conviction, our lawyer Phillip Stackhouse can help and represent you before the Court of Appeals for your branch of the military. Our attorney has more than 20 years of experience as defense attorney and an additional 20 years of experience as a Marine JAG officer. We know what is at stake and how to help.

Appeals To The Court of Appeals For The Armed Forces

If your appeal is not successful at the first level, the next step may be an appeal to the United States Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces (CAAF). Beyond this court, an appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court offers one more chance at an appeal.

Our attorney is admitted to all appellate courts named above. We are experienced at handling appeals and can help you mount a vigorous appeal to any of the appellate courts when necessary.

Petitions In Cases With Less Severe Penalties

When a military misconduct prosecution has resulted in a sentence of less than a year and there is no punitive discharge, no appeal through an appellate court is available or at least automatic.

However, if you are in this position, you can petition the Office of the Judge Advocate General (JAG) for relief. This type of relief is also known as a “mini-appeal.” Although this type of sentence is less serious, it is still advantageous for your military career as well as for your life beyond the military to keep your record free from blemishes of this nature.

Contact Us

If you need to appeal a courts-martial, we can help. Time is of the essence and you need the help of an experienced appellate lawyer today. We work with clients from Naval Base Coronado, other installations in California and worldwide. To schedule a consultation, call our San Diego office at 760-456-5386 or use our online contact form.